Our club meets for training next to the Marine Rescue base, Peel Street, Toukley. There is plenty of parking available.
We will generally train if it is raining, this is a water sport after all! However we don’t go out if the weather is stormy or the lake is too rough.
We usually train every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. Please check the contacts page and call our Coach or Captain to let them know you would like to join a session:
New paddlers are always welcome to join us
Sunday Sports Crew: 7.30am for 8:00am on the water
Sunday Development Crew: 7:30am for 8.00pm on the water
Wednesday: 5.30pm for 6.00pm on the water – subject to change
NOTE: The arrival time is set 30 minutes earlier than the “on the water” time so we can sign on, warm up and launch boats as necessary.
Ability to swim at least 50 metres, average fitness (real fitness will come later!)
What to bring:
– Be prepared – You WILL get wet !!!
– Shorts and light shirt, hat, old joggers or aqua shoes, sunscreen, drinking water.
– Towel and change of clothing for after training.
– We will provide paddles
Water training sessions will generally follow this basic format:
– Safety Talk (for novices) and description of Paddling Technique
– On Land Paddling Drill (or demo) and seating arrangement
– Warm-up and Stretching Exercises to avoid injury
– Launching the boats into the water (if not already done)
– Water Training Session (approximately 1-1½ hour)
– Docking of the boats on land (if required)
– Warm-down and Stretching Routine