Our club meets for training at the Volunteer Coast Guard base, Peel Street, Toukley. There is plenty of parking available.
We will generally train if it is raining, this is a water sport after all! However we don’t go out if the weather is stormy or the lake is too rough.
In the lead up to the racing season, from July to September, we train every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. From September onwards we also hold a Friday evening training session as well:
New paddlers are always welcome to join us
Sunday: 7.30am or Wednesday 5.30pm
Sunday: 7.45am for 8.00am
Wednesday: 5.45pm for 6.00pm
Friday: 5.45pm for 6.00pm This session generally commences from around September
NOTE: Arriving 15 minutes early gives you time to sign on, warm up and launch boats as necessary.
Ability to swim at least 50 metres, average fitness (real fitness will come later!)
What to bring:
– Be prepared – You WILL get wet !!!
– Shorts and light shirt, hat, old joggers or aqua shoes, sunscreen, drinking water.
– Towel and change of clothing for after training.
– We will provide paddles
Water training sessions will generally follow this basic format:
– Safety Talk (for novices) and description of Paddling Technique
– On Land Paddling Drill (or demo) and seating arrangement
– Warm-up and Stretching Exercises to avoid injury
– Launching the boats into the water (if not already done)
– Water Training Session (approximately 1-1½ hour)
– Docking of the boats on land (if required)
– Warm-down and Stretching Routine